8th Annual 2017 Montana Forest Landowner Conference – Helena, MT
April 21, 2017
Please join us for our Spring 2017 Forest Landowner Conference held in Helena, Montana.
The 2017 conference will be held at the Radisson Colonial Hotel, 2301 Colonial Drive, Helena, MT
Program by: Montana Forest Stewardship Foundation and Northwest Management, Inc.
Continuing Education Credits available for SAF Certified Foresters and MLA Accredited Logging Professionals.
2017 Conference Topics and Invited Speakers included:
Key Note Speaker: Tom Fry, Western Conservation Director, American Forest Foundation
Fire and Water: Why Private Forest Landowners are Critical to Protecting the West’s Water Supply
Maintaining Forest Health
- “Tips for Controlling Weeds in the Forest with Herbicides,” Dylan Brown, Monture Creek Land Management, Inc.
- “How does Active Forest Management Improve Tree Health and Resistance to Forest Insects and Disease,” Dr. Peter Kolb, MSU Forestry Extension
- “Introduction to Mechanical Equipment used for Timber Harvesting, Fuels Reduction and Forest Restoration Work,” Peter Nolin and Luke Fehlig, Northwest Management, Inc.
- “Who is responsible for fire fighting across Montana on private land? What should you know if you have a wildfire?,” Michael DeGrosky, MT DNRC Fire and Aviation Bureau Chief
Luncheon Speaker: Richard Aarstad, Montana Historical Society
To the Bitter End Montana Forest Engineers in World War One
Get Er’ Done
- “Part 1: Basics of Chainsaw Operation and Safety,” Scott Keuhn, Salmon River Wood and Eric Hoberg, Northwest Management, Inc.
- “Part 2: Fundamentals of Chainsaw Sharpening and Maintenance,” Scott Keuhn, Salmon River Wood and Eric Hoberg, Northwest Management, Inc.
Forest Management Success Stories
- “Effectiveness of Previously Completed Wildfire Mitigation Projects during the 2016 Roaring Lion Fire,” Byrom Bonney, Bitteroot RC & D Community Forester
- “Restoring a Family Forest after a Mountain Pine Beetle Infestation,” Pat and Judy McKelvey, Private Landowners and Jim Cancroft, Northwest Management, Inc. Forester
Silent Auction Item Winners will be announced!